As communities form partnerships and plan for action, it can help to learn about approaches taken by other communities. Be sure to read success stories from other communities, which may provide both inspiration and practical guidance.
Developing a framework or model for change is a critical way to convey the purpose and direction of an initiative. There are numerous approaches and toolkits that communities can draw upon. The following frameworks complement each other and offer a number of tools and practices that support local system building.
For communities in Illinois, collaborations may also want to explore the state’s local systems initiatives. Take a look at the below suggested reading list for reports that may give you collaboration additional ideas.
Making the Case for Investment in Early Childhood
- For cutting edge research, videos, and tools for you to use on brain science and its relationship to policy and system building, explore the Harvard Center for the Developing Child.
- Information and tools to understand and share the concept of “Return on Investment” for high quality early childhood program can be found at the Heckman Equation.
- The Nuts and Bolts of Building Early Childhood Systems Through State/Local Initiatives The BUILD Initiative, 2014
- The Research Base for a Birth through Age Eight State Policy Framework Alliance for Early Success and Child Trends, 2013
- Beyond Parallel Play: Emerging State and Community Planning Roles in Building Early Learning Systems Julia Coffman, Michele Stover Wright, and Charles Bruner for the BUILD Initiative, 2006
- Going Above and Beyond: Striving for High-Quality Family and Community Engagement in Early Care and Education Juliet Bromer and Corinne Weaver for The Erikson Institute, 2014
- Educational Alignment for Young Children: Profiles of Local Innovation National League of Cities, 2012
- Putting it Together: A Guide to Financing Comprehensive Service in Child Care and Early Education CLASP, 2012
- Shared Services: A New Business Model to Support Scale and Sustainability in Early Care and Education Louise Stoney for Early Learning Ventures, 2009
- Conceptualizing and Measuring Collaboration in the Context of Early Childhood Care and Education Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation, US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, 2013
- Evaluating Social Innovation FSG, 2012
- Markers that Matter: Success Indicators in Early Learning and Education FSG, 2013
- Developmental Evaluation: A Primer Jamie Gamble for the JW McConnell Family Foundation, 2008
- Art of the Nudge: Five Practices for Developmental Evaluators